Did you know dandruff shampoo has more uses beyond treating dandruff? Here are some of our favorites:
1. Athlete’s Foot. Washing your feet with anti-dandruff shampoo works to cure Athlete’s foot because, according to Beauty Gyann, the shampoo contains anti-fungal ingredients that kill fungus on the feet.
2. Inflamed Eyelids. According to the American Optometric Association, dandruff can cause blepharitis or inflamed eyelids. It is therefore recommended to wash your hair with anti-dandruff shampoo in order to prevent dandruff-causing bacteria from growing on your eyelids.
3. Acne. Some anti-dandruff shampoos contain zinc pyrithione, an ingredient known to kill acne-causing bacteria. To treat breakouts, leaf recommends replacing your acne face wash with anti-dandruff shampoo. For best results, allow the shampoo to soak into the skin for a few minutes before rinsing with water. This home remedy is also effective against body acne.
4. Rosacea. The zinc pyrithione that fights acne is also effective in taming rosacea. To treat the skin condition, wash the inflamed areas with anti-dandruff shampoo every few days, says leaf.
5. Tinea Versicolor. If you have a skin rash of scattered pink, tan, brown or white patches that itch when hot and sweaty, you may be suffering from a contagious yeast-infection called tinea versicolor. If you suffer from recurrent tinea versicolor, Drugs.com recommends washing your entire body with anti-dandruff shampoo every two weeks to prevent re-infection.
6. Remove Chlorine. If you are a swimmer, eHow UK recommends washing your hair with anti-dandruff shampoo after every swim to remove toxic, drying chlorine from your hair and scalp.
7. Reverse Hair Dye. If your latest hair coloring experiment has gone terribly wrong, do not fear! Leaf says a solution made from 20 crushed vitamin C tablets and a healthy squirt of both anti-dandruff shampoo and dish soap can rinse out the dye. For best results, apply the well-mixed, frothy mixture to clean, damp, towel dried hair. Cover your treated hair with a shower cap and relax for two hours. Rinse and repeat once a day for the next few days until not a single trace of hair dye remains.